Tuesday, January 12, 2016

So, we are all feeling it...we lost our Bowie.

  Disbelief is the common theme I've witnessed in the news of David Bowie's passing.  As if we knew him in a personal way and we would genuinely miss the Starman because we truly loved his existence.  
   I discovered David Bowie at a very young age, same as the rest of the Millinneals. "Labyrinth" was released the year before I was born, so it makes sense for our generation to be just as affected as our parents who knew him as the gender-bending British rock n roll superstar.  David Bowie was able to do something special that some of his competition in Rolling Stone magazine of 1973 missed out on; staying relevant in every decade that he lived in.
   I called my mother an hour after my boyfriend woke me with the heart-breaking news that we all wished was a hoax.  I felt the pain in my chest, just as I do now typing this blog.  That feeling that is actual pain.  Same that you get in your stomach when you're craving a meal. So many memories ran through my head.  Having late night chats at sleepovers with my best friend Renae and making sure there was a Bowie track on every mix cd that we made.  Telling my classmates in kindergarten that David Bowie was actually my father.  I was obsessed and he was easy to love.  I was a child.  Children love art.  Children can recognize art with an open mind because they're still soaking it all in.  David Bowie was as memorable as Bugs Bunny and Doug in my household since before I was born.  I missed him when I decided to accept that he had passed.
  David Bowie gave so much more than a large catalogue that touched on every genre.  He gave us an icon that was the poster child of being yourself.  He made it a whole lot easier to be a misfit during puberty and high school.  He stood for everyone.  What a great artist.  What a great gift it was for us to have someone so loved in the world during our lifetime on this planet.  What a great guy.  He's so cool.  Rest in Peace.  See ya in the stars!


 Song of the Day: David Bowie-Life on Mars





No comments:

Post a Comment